Wiki Asking for a raise after A removal?

klhamer

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I’ve just had my “A” removed from my certification and want to know if that is an appropriate time to ask for a raise? If so, how much should pay increase at that point? (Dollars or percentage wise.)

Is it smarter to search out other job offers and present it asking for it to be matched? That seems like a lot of steps when I ultimately want to stay at my current employer.

I’m sure there are a lot of factors to consider, and without writing a whole book of details here, I’d appreciate whatever feedback you can provide. Thanks so much!

I’ve just had my “A” removed from my certification and want to know if that is an appropriate time to ask for a raise? If so, how much should pay increase at that point? (Dollars or percentage wise.)

Is it smarter to search out other job offers and present it asking for it to be matched? That seems like a lot of steps when I ultimately want to stay at my current employer.

I’m sure there are a lot of factors to consider, and without writing a whole book of details here, I’d appreciate whatever feedback you can provide. Thanks so much!

I would suggest researching the typical pay rate for your position in your region. I don't think you need to go to the step of trying to get a competing offer, if you want to remain with this employer. You can use the AAPC salary tool, and also sites like Glassdoor.

Then I'd evaluate whether I was being compensated fairly for the local market, and if not what would bring me more in line with market compensation based on my experience and skill set.

Once you're armed with that information, you can use it to open a discussion with your employer. Good luck!

Totally agree with @sls314 . If you are already being fairly compensated for someone with your experience, AND you enjoy your job, no need to job hunt.
It's definitely fair to mention it to your immediate boss, or whoever in your organization is the appropriate party. Some employers may be willing to change your position/title and the compensation. Some employers only consider raises either at specific times of the year or on your annual anniversary hire. Some may offer a certification bonus.
For me personally, the total compensation is not only my salary. If my hours are flexible, or generous PTO, or remote work ability, or my manager is amazing, or 100 different items, whatever is important to me personally might be worth a few dollars an hour. I don't recall ever leaving a job due to compensation. I left because I did not enjoy the work or work environment for a variety of reasons.

Oh goodness in this scenario please don't get crazy. We all want an advancement for doing xxx and YYY But if you really feel you need a bump, I'd contact your immediate supervisor and provide documentation on why. Okay in my thought process they hired you probably with the CPC-A (normal for most coders) and now that you don't have the -A on your certificate I clearly understand the Why. But please tell them exactly why you need more $$. I'm typically a pathology coder with other specialties. Explain your thought process, provide examples you "exceeded" and let them gauge. From my line of work, you will want 6 solid examples in the presentation format usually word or otherwise that you can open and share in a Zoom meeting on your "awesomeness" I wish you the Best!!
Dana Chock, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB, RHIT