Wiki Assistant surgeon

zvankleek1

Best answers
I work with two orthopedic surgeons who have never used an assistant in surgery. One has decided that he is going to start having an assistant surgeon with him. I have never had to code for an assistant. Could you tel me how he needs to document his dictations. The assistant will be dictating but I need to know what the primary surgeon needs to include in his documentation. Thanks.

The primary surgeon needs to specify,in the body of the op note, the role of the assistant. Your assistant is not required to dictate his/her role unless he/she is a co-surgeon. There is an excellent article in the January 2008, Coding Edge pertaining to assistants at surgery...page 38.

Thank you the article was exactly what I was looking for and answered all of my questions.

Zoe

The primary surgeon needs to specify,in the body of the op note, the role of the assistant. Your assistant is not required to dictate his/her role unless he/she is a co-surgeon. There is an excellent article in the January 2008, Coding Edge pertaining to assistants at surgery...page 38.
would you be able to fax this article to me 6035697579 I am not able to access it through the AAPC. or email kbarron@hugginshospital.org Thank you

article

Rebecca, Could I get a copy of the article you reference from Coding Edge? I am having that question right now. I would appreciate it.
fax 404-350-7772
Thank you!

JAn 2008 coding edge

Could you please fax a copy of the article in Jan 2008 Coding edge to me concerning documentation of assistant surgeon also. 1-843-563-4541

Thanks Terri;)

assistant surgeon

Would you please send me the Coding Edge artice from January 2008? My fax number is
413-233-2673. Thank you so much!

you should also go to this link:
ttp://www.cms.gov/apps/physician-fee-schedule/license-agreement.aspx

this is the medicare physician fee schedule search database, and gives info on the modifiers that can/can't be used with certain codes. great if you need to figure out if a code can even be billed by an assistant.

can you please fax me a copy also 623-207-3089

THANK YOU!