Wiki Assistant Surgeon

SKellerCPC

I am researching co-surgeon vs assistant surgeon for my boss. I see there is a Coding Edge article in January, 2008 issue, but the PDF archives only go back to April, 2008. I think RebeccaWoodward faxed it to several coders, also mmelcamfound information in the General Surgery Coder's Pink Sheet of July, 2007. If anyone has these available and could/ would please send to me at my e-mail skeller@pshfay.com. Thank you. This forum has great contributors.

assistant Surgeon

I have my surgeon's note how the assistant helped etc. This should be documented...CMS guidelines state they should dictate more than "we" did the approach etc. Check CMS guidelines. Also, if you need to do an appeal- if there is a intra-op report, the time in and out should be noted for each person in the O.R. I use this to as proof of assistance. Hope this helps. I agree with everyone else though, assistant surgeon's do not have to dictate separate note and CMS should speak to this.

Coding edge article

If anyone can fax or email me this article from the Coding Edge, I would really appreciate it. This discussion has just come up with our surgeons and I'd like to provide them something. Thanks!!

Denise Eickbush
F 316-858-1905
email deickbush@kjsi.com

article

Rebecca, could you fax that article to me?
Is there a way to get copies of past articles through the AAPC?

Fax: 414-768-5423
Janice Reynolds, RN, CPC, CPMA, CHCA
manager-Coding/Auditing, Provider Education

Rebecca, could fax the article to me as well?
Thanks so much!

Fax: 606-325-0375
Terri Blevins, CPC

assistant article

I was wondering if anyone could fax the article that was published in the January 2008 on assistant surgeon to me at 855-440-6493 and 864-850-9848 or email to me at adk01a@gmail.com

January 2008 Coding Edge article

Rebecca - would you be able to fax me a copy of the article also?
Much appreciated!
fax # 920-632-0494

Thanks,
Margie

Can someone attach the documentation to this thread? Replay and click the paper clip to attach a file. Probably be better for everyone that needs it.

Thanks in advance

Rebecca,
I tried to find the January 2008 article you mentioned and couldn't find it. If you get a free moment would you be able to fax a copy of that article to me? I would really appreciate it. My fax is 813-643-2457.

Thanks so much
Jen

Is there anyway I could get a copy as well 740-374-0723? I am trying to explain this to some of my surgeons right now.

I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Cansas Riggenbach, CPC

mb billing

I would love to have a copy of this article..If anyone still has and could fax to me I would greatly appreciate it. My fax is 502-868-6107. We are just beginning to bill for assistant.
Thankyou

Rebecca,

I would also love a copy of this article to share with our providers. My fax number is 675-4570. If possible, please, put it to my attention. I am in a large office with multiple people sharing the same fax.

Thank You,

Jessica, CPC

Thanks Rebecca.

I've attached it as a PDF for future downloads.

Attachments

• Assistant at Surgery.pdf
    119.5 KB · Views: 397
january 2008 article/ assists

Wow, this seems to be an issue everywhere, including my office. I would appreciate if someone could email me the article from January 08, i also tried to go back in the archives to find it. kara.butler@spectrumhealth.org
Thanks so much! :)

Kara

Hi Rebecca,
Could you please fax me the article again? I lost my copy.
Thank you in advance!
(808) 522-4860.

Thanks,
Jewel

Assistant Surgeons

Hi,
New to the website and saw the many postings about assistant surgeons in a prior coding edge and other General Surgery Coder's Pink Sheet July 2007, Vol. 6, No. 7 pages 4 - 5. January 2008 Coding Edge, page 38
Does anyone still have these handy? Please fax (305) 535-7919 or email pennykat3@comcast.net

Thank you,
PK3
:)

If possible can someone please fax me a copy of the coding edgde article. Would really appreciate it. Many thanks in advance.
Sheryl
516-632-4605

Co-surgeon and Assistant Surgeon

Can anyone tell me where I can find a reference citing that only 2 providers can be paid for a given CPT. Example: 2 co-surgeons bill for 22558. The a 3rd provider , that is a physician assistant also bills for 22558. My understanding is that only 2 providers can be paid for a given CPT. Not sure where this refence can be found. Medicare, CPT, AMA.
Thanks,

Co-Surgeon and Assistant Surgeon

I too am having issues with surgeons only putting "Assistant Surgeon: Dr. Blah" and thinking this is enough to justify them getting credit for wRVUs. Even from a medico-legal standpoint, shouldn't each physician state exactly what they did? I mean if Dr. A does a C-section but Dr. B put in the sutures and the patient develops some infection in the incision, wouldn't they want to know who put the sutures in? This seems like a no-brainer to me. I think they should have to establish medical necessity for their presence even if it's one of the procedures that is already approved to have an assistant surgeon. At a minimum the primary surgeon should have to dictate in his note why Dr. B was needed and exactly what he did as an assistant.

When I told the hospital administrators that assistant surgeons are only reimbursed 16% of the Medicare allowable and suggested their wRVU should reflect this as well, the response from the surgeons was "well then I just won't scrub in on those cases anymore". So tell me, how medically necessary was it that they be there in the first place.

Hi. Can I also get a copy of this article from the Coding Edge from January 2008. page 38, as well as General Surgery Coder's Pink Sheet July 2007, Vol. 6, No. 7 pages 4 - 5. The link for the coding edge archives is not taking me there. I would appreciate if someone can e-mail me a copy : rustig06@yahoo.com.

Appreciate any lead. Regards,

Jennifer A.