Wiki assisting Surgeon

billybrandle1964

Networker
Best answers
I work in Podiatry office does anyone know what requirements are to be able to use assistant surgeon for a surgery that is big?

I cant think of any podiatric surgery procedures that would qualify for a surgical assist charge/reimbursement. I believe Medicare maintains a list of procedure that qualify for Assistant surgeon

There are many surgical procedures that podiatrists perform that allow a surgical assistant. For example, 28800 Amputation, foot; midtarsal. I use Optum's Encoder Pro as well as their version of the CPT and they both indicate which procedures allow an assist.

As far as documentation requirements to be able to bill for an assistant, I am seeing conflicting information. Some suggest that simply naming the assistant on the op report is sufficient. Others indicate that medical necessity for the assistant needs to be stated along with what the assistant did.

does anyone know in indiana can debridement muscle and fascia be done in the office or must it be done in wound center, hospital op surgery faciklity?