Wiki Athena

no, but our practice is considering it. I'm curious to see what experiences other coders have had with their software

We went live November 1, 2014...our practice went live with no on site support...we are still working out kinks and dealing with the CSC center ( customer support) is difficult. Good luck!!!

M. Birdwell
Rockwall, Texas

I am wondering about Athena also. We are considering going to this software too. We are a Gastroenterology Clinic with an ASC on site with 10 doctors. Right now we use Prime Clinical Management and still use a paper super bill. Of course we need to move to something new for ICD10 that is why we are looking into Athena. Some feedback would be great!

what i'm really worried about is losing my job. i hear everything is out sourced
to athena. i do insurance billing and work claims. from what i understand, athena takes that over. lburke

Athena is a billing based EHR.. they do all of the billing for the practices and the practice utilizes the EHR.

I have a better solution that will assist in keeping your job. Feel free to email me if you'd like to chat! JulianneP@dr-solutions.com

Our practice switched to Athena in Sept. 2014. It really is a good system, in my opinion.

The statement that Athena does ALL of billing is incorrect. There are different levels of working claims and not all of them fall under the Athena managed column. There will still need to be billers/coders.

In all my experiences, the CSC was excellent. But, you have to have a solid rep and staff to help you set up your tables and builds before go-live. If you don't have that before go-live then it will be very difficult.

We switched to Athena over a year ago and were concerned with billers being out of a job as well. However, we ended up keeping all of our billing staff. Yes, it is true that Athena does some of the billing functions but I think the work is still there for billers. It just changes the work flow.

We have been with Athena for 6 years. Have never used another system. I have over time learned to write the code for our system and have custom written our whole emr visits making it much easier to see patients.

The O help and training make it easy to understand.

I agree though depending on who you get on the CSC (help line) one gets a different answer. I usually ask to speak to a senior it person when I have a question.
Susan