Wiki attempted C-section but had to go vaginal

brantjea

Contributor
Best answers
not sure how to code this, they start C-section but had to convert to vaginal because of the position of baby being already in the birth canal. help

coding book

The answer is right in your code book....I know it is! I can get it but right now it's 5:44 a.m Sat. morning and I am about to take the ICD-10 proficiency exam, so all I have out in the room with me are my 10s, but if you look you will see there are options for that, they have the packages in the CPT book too, I don't know what one you use but they do exist. I am not working in the field but I am positive there is a code.

Now that's an unusual situation. I'd code a 59510-22 (assuming you are billing a global). Try to get extra reimbursement for the extra time, effort, and risk. You might be able to make an argument for one of the VBAC global OB codes if the patient started out as a VBAC, went to C/S, and then back to vaginal birth, but if she didn't start out as a VBAC, I don't think those codes fit.

As far as dx codes go, again there are no codes for "unsuccessful c-section converted to vaginal," so just code for each problem as it stands. You'll have to send an op report and cover letter to go with the -22 anyway, so everything should be explained in there.

At least that's all I can think of. Maybe somebody else has run across this situation before & has a better answer.

Becky, CPC