Wiki Attorney and cpc's

jjones

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I am curious to see if any of you have heard or worked for an attorney specifically as a CPC/Auditing personnel? I am trying to research this as they sometimes use a CPC in malpractice cases. This interest me. Would appreciate any input. Thank you.

I have heard medical coders/billers will be summoned in certain cases; usually they are working for the hospital or facility in which the patient had the services.

I am curious to see if any of you have heard or worked for an attorney specifically as a CPC/Auditing personnel? I am trying to research this as they sometimes use a CPC in malpractice cases. This interest me. Would appreciate any input. Thank you.

Hello,
I have not heard of using a CPC in a malpractice case; however I have had to go to court once for the hospital that I used to work for in regards to an attorney stating we did not bill the services correctly and that we did not do due diligence to resolve issues with the insurance companies prior to billing the patient. I would think that malpractice would have to involve clinical personnel since it is regarding the care of the patient, not the billing. I would be interested in hearing more about this just for my own curiosity as I have interest in both health care and law.

I have done considerable work with attorneys on a wide variety of cases, including insurance recoupment issues, Office of Professional Medical Conduct, OIG/DOJ cases, assistance in valuing an A/R or practice for providers looking to join (or separate from) a hospital or another group.

I highly recommend looking into it! Send me a message if you'd like to discuss further.