Wiki Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia-opinion

Could it also be classified as a neoplasm with uncertain behavior? According to all information I'm reading on this it would/could fit. Any definite classification would be appreciated.

atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH) when found on core breast biopsy has to have an open excisional biopsy done to make sure that there is no malignancy as it can be indicative of cancer. I usually use 239.3 as the ICD9 code for the subsequent office visit, etc. However, my surgeon states ADH is uncertain behavior and that would fit 238.3.

Hope that helps :confused:
Debbie, CPC, CGSC

I guess we will agree to disagree. If ADH is the pathological diagnosis on the final excisional biopsy then 610.8 would be fine, however, if ADH is on an FNA or core biopsy I do not feel 610.8 would be as accurate as 239.3. ADH that is found on this type of biopsy is an indicator for more evaluation (excisional biopsy-where the entire lesion is removed) as cancer is often found upon further evaluation of ADH.

I guess we will agree to disagree. If ADH is the pathological diagnosis on the final excisional biopsy then 610.8 would be fine, however, if ADH is on an FNA or core biopsy I do not feel 610.8 would be as accurate as 239.3. ADH that is found on this type of biopsy is an indicator for more evaluation (excisional biopsy-where the entire lesion is removed) as cancer is often found upon further evaluation of ADH.

Path report states:
1. LEFT BREAST, SUPERIOR, STEREOTACTIC VACUUM ASSISTED CORE BIOPSY:
- CORES OF BREAST TISSUE WITH A SMALL FOCUS OF ATYPICAL DUCTAL HYPERPLASIA WITH
ASSOCIATED CALCIFICATIONS.
- CALCIFICATIONS ARE ALSO PRESENT WITHIN ATROPHIC LOBULES.

ICD9 takes me to 610.8. I hate giving a neoplasm code unless it's specified but I needed other opinions.

Last edited: