Wiki Atypical Nevus

pennysueorr

Networker
Best answers
I'm in a battle over the correct code for this.

238.2 or 216._

anyone have some suggestions? I say its 216._ but I have a non-coder questioning me.

HELP!

Based on the definition below an atypical nevus is an unusual benign mole. So coding it as benign probably makes sense. I have heard this argument before, and I have had very knowledgeable people have two completely different opinions. You could query the physician to make sure he/she is completely comfortable labeling it as benign.

Dysplastic Nevi - SkinCancer.orgwww.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/dysplastic-neviCached
Dysplastic Nevi (atypical moles) are unusual benign moles that may resemble melanoma

I'm in a battle over the correct code for this.

238.2 or 216._

anyone have some suggestions? I say its 216._ but I have a non-coder questioning me.

HELP!

When you look up "nevus" in the Index it directs you to Neoplasm, skin, benign. Go to that section and the codes under the benign heading are in the 216.x category. Now the diagnosis also stated "atypical" so perhaps the 238.2 would be more accurate since it indicated uncertain behavior. Without more information I would be tempted to go with the 238.2 until there is a determination by pathology.