Wiki Audio only-code descriptor question

lbc2of3

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

I am questioning the audio only codes 99441-99443. Since the pandemic there have been a lot of waivers, and leniencies. I have heard both sides in regards to code descriptor and struggling. Providers want to use these audio only codes as follow up visits without patient initiation, just follow up routine visits of chronic conditions. The code description would have one believe this is incorrect, myself included. However I have heard some opinions in terms of this being a waived requirement during phe. If this is the case, can anyone point me in the direction of source info to guide this if it is something you have encountered? I don't want to speak on something I don't have something to back it up with, I have searched and came up with zilch, which is why I doubt I am to treat these codes any differently than described, aside from payable allowances during the phe.

Thanks in advance!

Check with each payer as to their requirement for telehealth. Many of them are allowing audio-only, in which case you would code for telehealth, not for a phone call.