Wiki Auditing carrier

jod867

Networker
Best answers
Hi, I am a practicing CPC and medical biller and want to take my carrier more in the direction of auditing but I want some input from the practicing auditors out there. My main focus is getting the right experience to be able to work from home. Pretty much all of my experience is in Family Practice besides what I learned to pass the exam in surgery etc. I do have some experience in auditing E/M as my practice is on an EMR and we have to spot audit the DR's coding. Also do you like Auditing or is it something that you dislike after you get into it? Would you recommend Auditing? or specializing otherwise? do you work from home or are you a road warrior? Any input or carrier advice is welcomed. Thanks for the advice.

I audit, but not from home. I love what I do. The physicians are generally open to meeting with me and being taught. It's all in the approach though. You've got to present yourself as a helper and not an auditor. Noone likes to be told when they are doing something wrong!
Downsides- the doctors who will not listen for whatever reason...they are old and they dont care...or they are young and think they are God's gift to medicine.
Make sure you have plenty of experience to be taken seriously.
Read, read, read! Stay on top of changing rules. Especially when it comes to Medicare. And keep written references on file. They WILL ask for it!
Dont be afraid to admit when you dont know something. I ask questions all the time! Quickest way to lose credibility is to give wrong info.

There is some gray area when it comes to E/M auditing...so that can suck. Some docs will argue with you, and if the decision is borderline...well be willing to compromise when needed.

If you like it, go for it. I have definitely chosen a career that I love, and that makes all the difference when you have to get out of bed in the morning! The positives outwiegh the negatives for me.

Good luck to you in whatever career path your choose.
Dont be in a hurry if you are young. Take your time and get experienced. I was in the field for over 10 years before I decided to take this route.