Wiki Auditing ICD9 Codes

Best answers
The an company I work for is rolling out department. I have been asked to take the lead ingetting this off the ground. We are a large company with 100 providers. We are Fee for service/ home vists. I am trying get my boss to understand the importance of not only looking at CPT codes and supporting documentation, but ICD9 codes as well. He feels that it is only necessary to audit the CPT codes. He is requesting documented reasoning for auditing ICD9 codes as well. Any suggestions?

There was an article in the Dallas newspaper dater April 24, 2013 about a doctor being indicted for health care fraud, in the article it states his main fault was instructing employees to list incorrect diagnosis codes and to reseqeunce diagnostic codes inconsistent with coding guidelines and conventions. If you need I can scan this and e-mail it to you. Or are you looking for something different. The first page of the coding guidelines states that adherance to the guidelines when appling ICD-9 codes is required under HIPAA.