Wiki Avulsion Fragment of the Medial Malleolar

bethh05

Expert
Best answers
Post Op: Painful medial malleolar avulsion fragment, chronic

Procedure:
A midline incision over the distal medial malleolus was made and dissection continued down to teh deltoid ligament. C-arm views were obtained noting the location of the frament. This was marked off on the skin with a marker. The deltoid ligament was split retracting the anterior and posterior fragment was thus encountered. Carefully, the fragment was removed circumferentially from its soft tissue attachments. This fragment was split leaving a smaller and more posterior piece. This too was carefully shelled out from around its soft tissue attachments. This was removed. The ankle was copiously irrigated.C-arm views noted that the malleolar fragment had been removed. The Deltoid ligament was repaired with #0 Vicryl stitches followed by washout ant hen the sub-q closure with 2-0 Vicryl. Steri-Strips were applied.

Anyone have any ideas? The physicians office coded 27640 but I am not sure because the fragment was in the soft tissue or am I reading too much into this? Any help is GREATLY appreciated! I was considering maybe 27610 with 76000 for fluoro?

Last edited:
I am a little unclear about the arthrotomy, are there specific guidelines to coding an arthrotomy? This was the ankle which is a joint, does the incision have to go into the synovium to qualify as an arthrotomy. Sorry, any clarification is appreciated!