Wiki Backwards question on fracture care

ericksob

New
Best answers
Hi all, my coworker and I are challenging a bill by an orthopedist in the following situation:
The patient had a fall resulting in a radial head fracture. She went to urgent care and had an x-ray and a splint applied. The UC provider charged her an E &M NP OV plus splinting charges and referred her to orthopedics for f/up. The ortho removed the splint did another x-ray and advised her to wear a sling. He charged her an NP OV and 24650. My question specifically is, if he didn't apply a splint or cast at all, and was not the first provider to see her, can he charge the initial fracture care code? She had one f/up appt with him. Thanks for any assistance!

Hi all, my coworker and I are challenging a bill by an orthopedist in the following situation:
The patient had a fall resulting in a radial head fracture. She went to urgent care and had an x-ray and a splint applied. The UC provider charged her an E &M NP OV plus splinting charges and referred her to orthopedics for f/up. The ortho removed the splint did another x-ray and advised her to wear a sling. He charged her an NP OV and 24650. My question specifically is, if he didn't apply a splint or cast at all, and was not the first provider to see her, can he charge the initial fracture care code? She had one f/up appt with him. Thanks for any assistance!

The key will be the follow-up visits. He is technically treating the fracture with a sling (immobilization) and most likely doing the follow up post-op visits.