Wiki BAHA Question

CLM

New
Best answers
Hello, Is anyone doing two stage BAHA's? According to my MD, some of the younger patients need time for the device to ossify to the bone and 3-6 months after initial surgery, need to go back in to complete. Not sure how this should be billed? 69714-52(first part) and 694714-58(if appropriate)-52 (second part)? Any advice is helpful. Thanks.

For the first stage, if they place the implant in the temporal bone but do not attach the speech processor, the AMA weighed in on that scenario and confirmed that 69714 with modifier 52 is correct (that was in CPT Assist October 2013). The second stage may be a bit trickier (could be subject to payer guidelines and whether they will allow you to report another unit of 69714.52 on the same side within a certain period of time). I think the 69714.52 (with 58 if still in a global) is reasonable. The alternative would be an unlisted code. Might be good to check on policies from your top insurance companies if they have one to make the claims process as efficient as possible and avoid denials.

I hope that helps!

Kim
www.codingmastery.com