Wiki Balloon Dilation 31297

pezztx

Networker
Best answers
Question:

ENT performed balloon dilation 31297. In the process he had to fracture her nose. Can he charge the fracture care 21337 since he fractured it? CPT states new or accute fracture.

From a medical standpoint I don't understand why the physician would "have" to fracture the patients nose to dilate the sphenoid sinuses, but I am not a physician, nor do I pretend to be one. :)

I will say that the two procedures are not bundled per CCI edits, so there is no reason ( If the documentation supports it) that he can can not bill for both procedures.

Just be sure to link the ICD-9 codes appropriately.

wound care

Hello everyone I'm looking for clarification on wound care. My question is if one of our orthopaedic physician or PA treats a patient for a wound the service provided is cleansing the wound only and than applying a clean sterile patch how would you bill for this. I know you can bill an E&M but is there another CPT code that can be billed with this service? also should the ICD9 code state what type of wound it is? I appreicate any feedback. Thanks

What exactly did the provider fracture?
There is a code for Therapeutic Fracture of Inferior turbinate(s) 30930. Therapeutic fracture of the Middle turbinates uses the unlisted 30999.

The 30930 is not bundled into the 31297 and can be billed for seperately.

Hope this helps, Good luck!

Balloon Sinuplasty

Understand that in Balloon Sinuplasty, fracturing of the bones do occur; when they expand the balloon it's not just tissue that's expanding but the thin bones that make up the sinuses are being fractured; the bones will then heal leaving the sinus opening wider.

My question is, what did the doctor fracture??? nose or sinus; and did they over-inflate causing severe fracturing??? Need a little more info to answer your question.

Jennifer
CT ENT