Wiki Bankart Lesion ICD-9 help!

rjenn86

Guru
Best answers
I am needing help on a code for a Bankart Lesion...Dictation reads: This patient has left shoulder posterior instability with a large posterior Bankart tear.

I was going to use code 718.81 and 718.31? Would these be the correct codes? Thank you for your help!

Both a Bankart and a SLAP lesion are tears in the superior glenoid labrum of the shoulder. Although they are sometimes used interchangeably, they are not the same. A SLAP lesion is a tear that occurs above the middle of the socket where the biceps tendon attaches and may involve that tendon. A Bankart tear is one that occurs below the middle of the socket involving the inferior glenohumeral ligament. The diagnostic code for a SLAP lesion is 840.7. There is no specific index entry for ‘Bankart' in the alphabetic index, either alone or under ‘lesion' or ‘tear'. Since there is no specified code for a Bankart type tear, assign code 718.81 Other joint derangement, shoulder, NEC

I found this from Contexo and it is what we use. Hope it helps you understand it better.:)

Bankhart Lesion

I was once guided to use 718.01 when this wasn't injury-related, just degeneration.

What are your thoughts on this one?

Thanks,

Carol