Wiki Bariatric Surgery Newcomer

CBC

Best answers
Our group has just hired a bariatric surgeon and I am just trying to familarize myself with the most common procedures. Does anyone have experience and can share the most common procedures used? I'm taking codes out of the bariatric section of the CPT digestive system but I'm wondering how many of the other codes are used on a regular basis, along with any common ultrasound codes, etc.

Thank you!

I'm in the same boat as you, CBC. We have a new GS that started this month. See if you can get a list from your provider on the most common procedures he or she does. Our manager acquired the list for fee schedule purposes. I used it to look up the CPTs and try to familiarize myself.

Feel free to PM me. I'm sure we can help each other out.

Bariatric newcomer

The most common proc we are doing is the sleeve. 43775
It really depends on the doctor, but my surgeons really prefer this code. I did a lot of research when they took on bariatric surgery. I could not find any seminars available so I had a lot to figure out myself. Luckily if your provider really only does one procedure it's not that hard.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! :cool:

43770 for the lap band
S2083 for the lap band fills, if Medicare then you must use the unlisted code of 43999.
43775 for the sleeve as mentioned above.
43644 for gastric bypass

Plese let me know if you have more questions as I have 4 years experience with general and bariatric surgery.

Thanks
Sarah

Bariatric Surgery

Another question on this subject...if the 43999 or S2083 is done in either an office setting and/or a hospital setting then why are the payers not recognizing that and paying both at the same rate no matter where it is done? Is anyone else seeing that? We have indicated the correct POS and looks like it is happening across the board no matter who the payer is. Would there be a good reason for this that anyone has become aware of? I've searched with little help and trying to get to the right people at the carriers to get a good answer. Any help or information on this is appreciated!!