Wiki BC and PAP

dbolivar1

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

I'm needing help coding visit. Patient come in to discuss birth control and pap smear. Tried couple of BC but have not worked and choose Nuvaring. Pap smear was collected, no issues. Provider did not document to be a WWE. Should I still use 99395 with Z01.419. Or should I code E/M code 992xx with Z30.015 & Z12.4 and bill PAP Q0091. Insurance is BCBS commercial plan.

Thank you.

If your clinician did not perform the elements of a screening WWE, you should not bill 99395. It sounds like this was a problem oriented visit and 9921X is more appropriate. Your diagnoses seem correct.
Regarding Q0091, we do code this for all insurances when PAP is done as a screening. Many insurances will bundle with the visit and not pay separately, but we do still code and bill for it.

If your clinician did not perform the elements of a screening WWE, you should not bill 99395. It sounds like this was a problem oriented visit and 9921X is more appropriate. Your diagnoses seem correct.
Regarding Q0091, we do code this for all insurances when PAP is done as a screening. Many insurances will bundle with the visit and not pay separately, but we do still code and bill for it.
Thank you!