Wiki Behavioral changes

jccoder

Networker
Best answers
Needing help on a diagnosis for a 14 year old patient that presents to the ED and the physician uses diagnosis of "Behavioral changes". Patient is not suicidal, distructive or aggressive, so I don't feel a conduct disorder is appropriate. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi,
The patient is not suicidal, but may still be depressed fully with a mild anxiety, because you said the patient is not aggressive either. So, my suggestion is 296.61, Bipolar affective, mixed-mild variety.

Behavioral Changes

I would suggest 312.9
Unspecified conduct disorder - This code would be used for disorders characterized by conduct or oppositional defiant behaviors that do not meet the criteria for conduct disorder or oppositional defiant disorder.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I would go with 296.61...Especially if the physician did not diagnosis the patient with this disorder. 312.9 is a possibility. Have you looked at 296.90/296.99?

I'd go with either 296.99 or 312.9 - I wouldn't code "bipolar" or any other specific disorder because it isn't documented. Too bad they don't have a dx for "normal teen behavior"! ;)
{that's my opinion on the posted matter}