Wiki Behavioral Health and Psych Resources

buskeys

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hi!

Does anyone have any good Behavioral Health and/or Psychiatry resources for coders? Whether that be books, manuals, articles, papers etc.

If you have access to an Optum Healthcare Advocate they have great resources on many of these topics. It's in a portal so they grant you access.
I found a DSM-5 at the local library and read that for great information as well.
AAPC probably has a webinar on the topic as well.
And Google, look for reputable resources like American Psychiatric Assoc. Also, here is a link to a sheet from the University of Washington https://aims.uw.edu/sites/default/files/Basic Coding for Integrated BH 2020.pdf
Best wishes,
Cari

I worked in Behavioral Health (for psychiatry, psychology, LCSW, MFT) for about 15 years before switching over to Pain Management 7 years ago. Back then a lot of stuff was trial and error; alot more is available now. I started with my Medicare's billing guide for mental health. If an insurance company had a policy about it, I got a hold of it. If something was denied, and the insurance company had no written policy, then I used my other resources to fight it.

I work in family practice and we hired LMHC (licensed mental health counselor). I contacted Medicare Part B and was advised that LMHC provider cannot be credentialed with Medicare Part B but they can bill 'as incident to' on the claim. I was told by Medicare rep the medical provider is rendering provider and LMHC provider is servicing provider. I was wondering if this is correct and if so, does the patient need to be established in the practice to receive the behavioral health service or can they be a new patient? If new patient - what role would the provider be responsible for (i.e. see the patient briefly or make a note on the chart that the chart was reviewed).
We have a new Medicare patient scheduled tomorrow and any assistance/comments would be greatly appreciated!

I work in family practice and we hired LMHC (licensed mental health counselor). I contacted Medicare Part B and was advised that LMHC provider cannot be credentialed with Medicare Part B but they can bill 'as incident to' on the claim. I was told by Medicare rep the medical provider is rendering provider and LMHC provider is servicing provider. I was wondering if this is correct and if so, does the patient need to be established in the practice to receive the behavioral health service or can they be a new patient? If new patient - what role would the provider be responsible for (i.e. see the patient briefly or make a note on the chart that the chart was reviewed).
We have a new Medicare patient scheduled tomorrow and any assistance/comments would be greatly appreciated!

As stated, incident-to services cannot be provided to a new patient. For an established patient, the billing provider must establish a plan of care. The non-billing provider then follows that plan of care on subsequent visits. A physician (not necessarily the billing physician) must be in the office suite when the incident-to services take place.

An often-overlooked component of incident-to billing is that it cannot be used when the time factor (not the complexity) is used to choose the service - meaning more than 50% of the visit is spent on counseling or coordination of care.
Out of curiousity, what type of provider is the medical provider?