Wiki Benchmarks for Med Onc coding

Jamharvey

New
Best answers
Hi all,

I’m interested in finding what medical oncology coding benchmarks others are using.
1. What is the average length of a patient’s treatment?
2. On average, how many separate services are coded per course of treatment?
3. How long should it take an experienced med onc coder to code 10 cases from start to completion?
4. How may med onc patient records should an experience coder be able to code in an 8-hour day?

thanks so much in advance!

its probably not a fair benchmark to compare lengths of treatment. Each practice will have a different make up of regimens, and varying patient population. Also probably not a good benchmark to compare is the number of services in a given treatment. Each treatment regimen will be different. Protocols may vary from practice to practice since many pre-meds can be given IVP, infusion, or orally.

Depending on your computer system, if the only thing your coders are coding is treatment, doing 10 cases in less than an hour is reasonable. In an 8hr day I've seen facility coders complete around 100-120 cases a day. If you're expecting your coders to perform other job duties that amount may not be reasonable. My practice currently provides in office treatments, we can complete around 10-15 cases an hour (with no interruptions).