Wiki Best Certification to obtain

Best answers
I recently completed the online courses for medical coding. I have yet to get a job in the medical field so I have don't have experience. I am wanting to take a certification exam to further build my credentials and gain employment in Southwest Florida. Any ideas on what would be the best certification exam to take that would get me more opportunities here?

Thanks

Most places require either a CPC or AHIMA's CCS for coding positions. They're pretty similar from what I can tell, but the CPC is more affordable, and gets you just as much 'bang' for your buck. The CCS exam is not all multiple choice, it's more expensive, and you don't get a free retake, if I remember correctly. The CPC just seems more practical, to me. Hope that helps!:D

Also I believe the CCS exam is more facility based, which if you are planning a career in a hospital would be beneficial. The CPC is more physician based and as a result opens more doors.

I would look around as to where you want to work, Hospital versus Physician office, then go online to Moster.com and look for jobs in your area and see what they perfer CPC or CCS. I worked for a physician's office for 7 years and have my CPC and CPC-H but i always knew i wanted to move up into hospital billing one day. My honest opinion is that it would be very hard for a coder with no expirence to take the CCS and pass. I'm sure it can be done with someone who else medical background but it is a very hard test from what i heard. The hopitals in my area only accept CCS, the one i am currently at accepted my CPC-H only because i had over 8 years expirence and i plan on taking the CCS one day. I don'd think its a bad idea to have both and most people do and i would suggest taking the CPC first and see how that works out and if you decide you would perfer more of the hospital side then go for the CCS as well....hope that helps

If you have no experience, I suggest the CPC examination as it is multiple choice and you have a better chance of passing.