Wiki Best ICD10 for Iron PO Intolerance and Not Responding to Iron PO

rosse126

Contributor
Best answers
I'm debating on which ICD10 to use for Iron PO Intolerance and Not Responding to Iron PO. What I mean by 'intolerance', I mean pt has diarrhea or nausea or constipated, etc; and by 'not responding,' no matter how many PO the pt takes, her iron is still low.

For Iron PO Intolerance, I'm thinking of using "K90.49" or "T45.4X5*"

And, for Not Responding to Iron PO, I'm thinking of using "K90.89" or "T45.4x5*"

Any advice or other suggestions?

Thank you.

It sounds like she isn't "intolerant" because you don't mention she has issues with taking the iron PO and having side effects that make it problematic for her to take the oral iron supplementation. It seems that she is not absorbing the iron being taken, is that correct?

If so, there is a diagnosis for issues with iron metabolism in the range of E83.10-E83.19: Disorders of Iron Metabolism. That may be more appropriate if her issue is that she is not absorbing the iron that she is taking orally.

It sounds like she isn't "intolerant" because you don't mention she has issues with taking the iron PO and having side effects that make it problematic for her to take the oral iron supplementation. It seems that she is not absorbing the iron being taken, is that correct?

If so, there is a diagnosis for issues with iron metabolism in the range of E83.10-E83.19: Disorders of Iron Metabolism. That may be more appropriate if her issue is that she is not absorbing the iron that she is taking orally.
Thank you for your reply