Wiki Bi-Ventricular Lead Repair

cweavercpc

Networker
Best answers
I have a Bi-V in which the LV lead was repaired with a suture sleeve along with a generator change and don't see a CPT code that reflects this. I only see codes:

33218 for one lead repair, single chamber system

And 33220 for a two lead repair, dual chamber system

and then to code the generator change seperate.

I have one lead and 3 chambers. Has anyone coded this before. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Since posting this question, I came across an article that states the following:

There is not a specific code for LV lead repair so the codes for generic lead repair are used. Code 33218 is used for lead repair when it is a single chamber generator and code 33220 is used when it is a dual chamber device.

You must code based on the device instead of the number of leads repaired due to CCI edits.

Note: A bi-ventricular device and a dual chamber device, in coding language are diffferent things. A dual chamber device involves the right atrium and right ventricle. A bi-ventricular device is the addition of a left ventricular lead onto a single or dual chamber device. If a single chamber pacemaker is implanted with a right ventricular lead and a left ventricular lead is added, it is a single chamber pacemaker with an LV lead for coding purposes.

Hope this helps anyone else questioning.