Wiki Bilateral Endometriomas

carol52

Expert
Best answers
Hello, I have a lap surgery where both ovaries were densely adherent to the posterior cul-de-sac. Attempts were made to manipulate the ovaries and there was spontaneous rupture of endometrium from both ovaries.
The grasper was removed and the pelvis was irrigated and aspirated. The laparoscope was removed and the pneumoperitoneum was released and the lower quadrant was closed.
Would this just be coded as a Diagnostic lap? Nothing was removed and sent to pathology.
Thanks,
Carol

49322 Laparoscopy, surgical; with aspiration of cavity or cyst (eg, ovarian cyst) (single or multiple) is out since it was a spontaneous rupture and not an aspiration.
Nothing was excised/removed/biopsied, so that eliminates 49321, 58662 or 58661.
If the op note indicates there was significant lysis of adhesions, I would consider 58660. Otherwise 49320 (MAYBE -22 if justified by note).

49322 Laparoscopy, surgical; with aspiration of cavity or cyst (eg, ovarian cyst) (single or multiple) is out since it was a spontaneous rupture and not an aspiration.
Nothing was excised/removed/biopsied, so that eliminates 49321, 58662 or 58661.
If the op note indicates there was significant lysis of adhesions, I would consider 58660. Otherwise 49320 (MAYBE -22 if justified by note).
Thank you for your response, and true was not an aspiration, there was not significant adhesions to code for so I will look at the 49320 ...
Once again thank you for your help !!
Carol