Wiki Bilateral knee surgery/different surgeons

kparkhurst

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I have two surgeons performing the same procedure on different knees during the same operative session - should both procedures be billed as co-surgeons or each bill separately? Has anyone ever encountered this before???:confused:

I have two surgeons performing the same procedure on different knees during the same operative session - should both procedures be billed as co-surgeons or each bill separately? Has anyone ever encountered this before???:confused:

No I haven't but sounds interesting. Did they help each other? If so I'd add 62 mod. If not and 1 doc did Right and 1 doc did Left then I would have them bill each procedure individually. Are they same practice?

This is rare, but each physician gets to bill for their own procedure. You didn't state whether the surgeons are in the same practice. Be sure to put the laterality modifier on each procedure so insurance knows you aren't double billing. I would suggest sending both op reports with the claims as the payor will apply the multiple procedure reduction to one of them and that would not be appropriate.

This is not a co-surgeon scenario as they are in different body areas, not the same incision.