Wiki Bilateral partial mastectomy

aprilk65

New
Best answers
Could someone please help me? My surgeon done a bilateral partial mastectomy with axillary lymphadenopathy for a woman with bilateral breast cancer. I have tried to code it multiple ways, and I have denials from only 1 of these is allowed per day, to incorrect modifier. I have tried to code it on 2 lined with a left and right modifier, tried 1 line wit 1 and a 50. The last time I used 78, 50 and 59. The 78 because she had the breast biopsy a few weeks earlier. I have never had so much difficulty. If someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance

It might be getting denied because some insurance companies don't like modifier 50. Also, if the biopsy was performed a few weeks earlier by the same provider (or group) then a modifier will be needed to bypass the global surgery edit. I would suggest using modifier 58 because technically this is a staged procedure. I'm assuming that the provider would have been planning a partial mastectomy depending on the results of the biopsy.

With the limited information that you've provided, I would suggesting coding it as follows:

19302 -58,50
OR
19302 -58,RT & 19302 -58-59-LT

I'd also be sure that you're using 2 diagnosis codes - one for the right breast and one for the left breast. Insurers are getting more savvy about laterality in diagnosis codes.

It might be getting denied because some insurance companies don't like modifier 50. Also, if the biopsy was performed a few weeks earlier by the same provider (or group) then a modifier will be needed to bypass the global surgery edit. I would suggest using modifier 58 because technically this is a staged procedure. I'm assuming that the provider would have been planning a partial mastectomy depending on the results of the biopsy.

With the limited information that you've provided, I would suggesting coding it as follows:

19302 -58,50
OR
19302 -58,RT & 19302 -58-59-LT

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. It worked and we got paid :)