Wiki Billed for wrong patient need help!

JLuz

Best answers
We have several patients with the same name...we billed the wrong one to Medicare. It was denied stating the patient is in prison on the dos. That was the denial on the eob, which obviously raised questions when we got it. So in researching the denial found that we inadvertantly billed for the wrong patient. Has anyone run into this issue and how did you handle it? Don't want to get in trouble!!!

I would reccommend doing this.

1. Contact your Medicare provider and tell them what happened. You are not the first to do it and you won't be the last. They can and will tell you if there are any other steps to take.
(More than likely they will ask you to write a letter to the affect that you inadvertently billed the wrong patient on that date of service.)

2. Since there is no money to refund, you should be able to bill for the correct patient now.

I really think you guys will be OK and there will no issue once you just call customer service and tell them what occurred.

I hope I've helped.

Does your Medicare contractor offer a telephone reopening line for appeals? In J12 we are able to make corrections like this over the phone letting them know it was a billing error on our part and they are able to make corrections in their system.

This shouldnt be through reopenings because you will be billing the correct patients ID #. You can bill the correct patient to them and get paid and for the other patient I would call to Medicare to find out how to get that corrected because of a billing error. Probably have to fill out a refund/void form to let them know why it happened.