Wiki Biller

hholland

Best answers
So primary Insurance (Commercial) pays in full but patient has secondary coverage do we need to send to the secondary even though there is no balance due?

We have mixed feelings here at work! :confused:

Thanks!
Helen

If your primary payer has paid in full with no patient responsiblity, then there is no need to bill a secondary payer for a $0 balance. Some billing systems don't even allow a claim to be generated if there is a $0 balance.

I'm a little bit curious why some of your co workers would want to send a claim to the secondary payer.

I agree there is no reason to send to a secondary if there is no balance. If anything they could accidentally pay and then you have an over payment on your hands that you have to deal with.

It also costs your company money for each claims submission. I don't know what the current cost estimation is per claim, but at one time, I heard $3-5 per claim. (That was years ago, though, prior to electronic claims submission!:D ) Though I am sure it costs less now, it does still cost. (cost of employee and the vendor has to take their chunk)

I would say yes you would still want to submit the claim to the secondary. The secondary insurance may have a higher allowable then the primary so they would pay that difference.

Here is what I found from WPS Medicare.

Should I Bill Medicare When the Primary Insurer Paid in Full?
My patient provided primary insurance information and the insurance company paid in full. Do I still need to submit a claim to Medicare?

Medicare recommends you submit the claim for secondary benefits even though there is no outstanding balance. The reasons for this include application of the patient's deductible for allowed services, notification of certain once in a lifetime benefits, recording of certain time restricted services, and allowing Medicare to keep the claim on file. This last one becomes vitally important when the primary insurance company requests the payment back.

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Internet Only Manual (IOM) Publication 100-05, Chapter 3, Section 10.5Adobe Portable Document Format indicates that a primary insurance take back alone does not constitute good cause to waive the 1 year filing limit. However, if we already have the claim on file, we may be able to perform a reopening. You can find more information on good cause for waiving the file limit and reopening on our website. Please see our Claims and Appeals pages.

http://wpsmedicare.com/j5macpartb/claims/submission/primary-paid-full.shtml