Wiki billing 93000 with e/m

temarye

Best answers
I work in family practice where providers will do an EKG on pts because of rapid heart beats, palpitations, etc. im being denied by most insurance companies. do I have to put a mod 59 on this for payment. I understand that mod 59 usage is looked down on. can anyone assists me. thank you in advance.th

I work in family practice where providers will do an EKG on pts because of rapid heart beats, palpitations, etc. im being denied by most insurance companies. do I have to put a mod 59 on this for payment. I understand that mod 59 usage is looked down on. can anyone assists me. thank you in advance.th

What types of denials are you receiving? Are you billing the ECGs with a medically necessary complaint/symptom/problem/condition diagnosis? Payers will typically deny if the service is done as a screening or routine procedure, or if the diagnosis does not meet the definition of medically necessary.

A 59 modifier would not be appropriate. You could apply a 25 mod on the E/M charge IF the encounter meets the definition "significant, separately identifiable evaluation and management (E/M) service by the same physician on the day of a procedure." The documentation would have to support this; the provider would need to document the E/M portion of the encounter and separately document for the interpretation and report for the ECG.

We have NGS as our Medicare provider and if we are billing an AWV with a medical E/M and an EKG on the same day, Medicare requires the 59 modifier on the EKG and a 25 modifier on the medical E/M, however if billing only an E/M and EKG a modifier is not required from any of our payers.

The bundling is between the office visit and the AWV, not the EKG.

When billing a problem visit on the same day as an AWV, you would add a 25 mod to the E/M charge. It's important to remember that whatever work was done for the AWV should NOT also be counted into the E/M when you level it (such as a portion of the history or exam).

When billing, for example, you would have G0439, 99212-25, and 93000.

When it comes to adding a 59 to 93000, I'm not sure why that would be necessary; there are no bundling edits there. I highly question that because this is a MAC and they SHOULD be following the NCCI edits. Personally, I would ask for documentation from NGS explaining the reason they are not adhering to the edits before I start throwing around unnecessary modifiers, especially a 59.

And it would be correct when billing only an E/M with 93000 that no modifier would be needed.