Wiki BILLING 93010 IN THE ER

mwells2020

Networker
Best answers
How does everyone bill an EKG (93010) when done in the ER when the patient is admitted? Do you bill the EKG through the ER or do you roll it into the admission? I'm just curious how other people bill these.

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'roll it into the admission'. Unless the EKG is an integral component of another service (such as an echo or a stress test), the EKG would be a distinct service - I'm not aware of any situation where you would would not bill it just because the patient was admitted.

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'roll it into the admission'. Unless the EKG is an integral component of another service (such as an echo or a stress test), the EKG is a distinct service - I'm not aware of any situation where you would would not bill it just because the patient was admitted.
I am asking if it needs to be billed with ER as the POS or as IP as the POS? It was done in the ER time frame before the patient was admitted. I am billing it either way. I'm just not sure what the appropriate POS is.

The POS changes at the time the order to admit the patient is written, so I would use the ER POS if you know that the services was done prior to the actual admission. If you don't have that specific information, though, Medicare will still reimburse you as long as you're using a hospital place of service since the reimbursement will be the same either way.