Wiki Billing 96372

lc0008

New
Best answers
Can 96372 be billed without the J code? For instance if a patient supplied their own medication bought through their pharmacy. We have billed with .01 on the J code but want to clarify if it is needed for payers. Thank you

Whether or not you should bill the J code depends on the payor policy. From my experience, Medicare & most carriers want the J code. Basically, they want to ensure the medication being injected would be covered under the policy.
When the patient supplies the meds (like your case), billing the J code with .01 is the right way to go. Even if the carrier doesn't require it, I don't recall it ever being an issue.

We bill 96372 when we give testosterone or b12 shots. It hits an edit in our billing system for no j code but we bypass it then it processes just fine with the payers.

We give testosterone shots at our practice, patients provide their testosterone. We bill J code with 96372, insurance pays the injection for it.

This probably a silly question but I am brand new and wondering. Can you bill an E&M code with a 96372 if a psychiatrist is giving the injection?

This probably a silly question but I am brand new and wondering. Can you bill an E&M code with a 96372 if a psychiatrist is giving the injection?
You absolutely can, but the caveat is, is it reimbursable with the E&M? If the patient is just coming in for the injection then no, it wouldn't be reimbursable because it's not separately identifiable from the E&M. If the patient was receiving counseling or something along those lines and then also received an injection then that may be separately identifiable from the E&M, so you'd want to add the modifier 25 to the E&M. Some payers still bundle 96372 and the E&M together even with the modifier 25, and some payers want a different diagnosis between the 2 CPT codes. Hope this helps!