• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Billing a New preventive visit with a new or established office visit

ttcoding

Networker
Best answers
I have a question concerning billing a new patient preventive visit with a new pt E/M at the same time. I was told that I could not bill these two together as new but I should bill the preventive as new and the E/M as established even though they happen during the same encounter. I have researched through the CPT book and cannot find evidence that this would be true. Can anyone help?:confused:

BeckyL1958

Best answers
No, that is not correct. I have dealt with this issue many times. A new patient is a new patient. Check the CPT narrative for Preventive Medicine Services. If a patient comes in for a well check and an abnormality is found or if for instance the patient complains of burning with urination and the Dr. does an assessment and treats the patient for a UTI, then the appropriate level of E&M should be charged (99201-99205) and you will need to append modifier 25 along with billing for the new patient Preventive Med E&M code 99381-99387. You may not get paid though, the payor may still bundle them together.

example

99202-25