Wiki Billing admin codes for drugs thru retail pharmacy

DEANNAHUFF

Contributor
Best answers
If we receive medications thru a retail pharmacy (pharmacy in our office) can we bill for the administration of the medication. Some carriers require certain medication to come from a pharmacy and not billed through the office. In this case can we bill for the administration of the drug. The drug is shipped to our in house pharmacy and the patient does not bring it in. Also, we have the same scenario with carrier Kentucky Medicaid, some of the chemo and non chemo drugs have to be purchased through a pharmacy from Kentucky and shipped to our office. In both scenarios we do not bill for the drug but we are billing for the administration. I just want to verify this is correct. None of the drugs are brought to the office by the patient and we do not bill if the patient self administers.

I hope I explained this ok....... Thanks for any help!!!!!!!

It sounds like you are doing everything right. As long you aren't billing for the pharmacy portion and it isn't under the same billing as the office, you're good. Keep up the good work!

Can we bill for the administration code if the drug purchased thru our, in office retail pharmacy? The pharmacy does it's own billing but we are both under the same tax id#.

Is it required to bill the medication with a $0.00 fee so the carrier will know what was given on that day, otherwise could the admin. be denied because no medicaiton billed?

We are billing 0.00 on the line for the drug but we were concered about the billing of the admin since the retail pharmacy in our office is under the same tax id#.