Wiki Billing amputation with debridement

svevans3

Networker
Best answers
Please help. Can I bill 28810 for ray amputations and 11043, 11046 for debridement?

1652810078912.png

Please help. Can I bill 28810 for ray amputations and 11043, 11046 for debridement?

View attachment 5903
The problem that your having is the documentation. Can a separate open wound be billed for that is not in the same surgical area of the amputation? Of course. However your provider has not documented this specifically. The provider states that the necrotic wound was at the base of the toe. Well, that's at the MTP joint which is where the incision was made to remove the toes. In the 6 X 5 debridement, does that include the debridement of the MTP joint? My guess is yes, but that debridement is part of the amputation procedure and would not be reported separately. If there was a separate open wound, what tissue depth was debrided? You don't know because it's not in the body of the op note. Your provider has lumped all information for the debridement on one line that's not even included in the body of the note. As documented, you would not be able to report debridement separately. I'm not saying that it was not performed and not billable, I'm just saying the way the documentation reads, the debridement seems to be in the same area as the amputation and not a separate area of treatment. In foot & ankle providers have to be very specific in their documentation.

Agree as above. It appears it was all done at the same site as the amputations from the documentation. However, it does state "further debrided the wound on the dorsum of the foot..." and "track along the dorsum of the foot so a counterincision was made..." I think this would require a query like the advice above to improve the documentation and specify depth, exact site, etc. It does state "2 separate locations" but that's too vague.