Wiki Billing Dad for Global Maternity

ABarttels

New
Best answers
Good morning!
I work at a local birthing center. All day I run OBGYN claims. No problem. I had a father ask me a question and for some reason all my knowledge flew out the window. Here is goes:

Can labor and delivery charges be put on the father’s insurance?

Just for clarification, we cannot bill Dad for any claims unless Mom is insured under his plan. I let him know we would have to break up the global code and that might not be financially beneficial. I believe he’s assuming it’s the birth of his baby that we can run claims under his insurance.
I informed him that regardless of how he spins it the patient is still the mother. If she’s not insured, then we can bill his insurance for L&D charges.

You are correct. You cannot bill any charges to the dad's insurance. Services are rendered to the mother and baby therefore their insurance will be billed. Of course, if the mom is covered under the dad's plan this shouldn't be a problem, however it doesn't sound like that is the situation here!

:)

Exactly! Ok, we’re on the same page. Thank you!

You are correct. You cannot bill any charges to the dad's insurance. Services are rendered to the mother and baby therefore their insurance will be billed. Of course, if the mom is covered under the dad's plan this shouldn't be a problem, however it doesn't sound like that is the situation here!

:)

The other scenario is if he has a family plan and mom is on it and cal be billed as secondary insurance. Which in turn could potentially limit their patient responsibility.