Wiki Billing date for pathology charges?

Best answers
I just started working for a new company in February and recently started working on pathology here. We billed some pathology at my prior coding job but since we did several things wrong I'm not going to say we billed them 100% correctly. I have been told that the new company found information that pathology charges should be billed with the date the pathologist reviews the specimens vs the date of the procedure and specimen collection. They started doing this however have received complaints from patients because the path charges date differs from the procedure date and now are questioning which date to use, the date of the procedure and specimen collection, or the date the pathologist reviews and gives the results? Our pathology system needs to be fixed, badly, and I'm hoping to have this be my goal for the year so would like to know how others are billing path charges so I at least have a start. Which date are you using when you bill them, the procedure date or specimen review date from the pathologist?

Thank you!

I just started working for a new company in February and recently started working on pathology here. We billed some pathology at my prior coding job but since we did several things wrong I'm not going to say we billed them 100% correctly. I have been told that the new company found information that pathology charges should be billed with the date the pathologist reviews the specimens vs the date of the procedure and specimen collection. They started doing this however have received complaints from patients because the path charges date differs from the procedure date and now are questioning which date to use, the date of the procedure and specimen collection, or the date the pathologist reviews and gives the results? Our pathology system needs to be fixed, badly, and I'm hoping to have this be my goal for the year so would like to know how others are billing path charges so I at least have a start. Which date are you using when you bill them, the procedure date or specimen review date from the pathologist?

Thank you!
The pathology coding guidelines state that if your pathologist is doing the professional component services only that you would bill using the date of interpretation. If you are billing services that are global you bill by the date the specimen was obtained. Hope this helps.

The pathology coding guidelines state that if your pathologist is doing the professional component services only that you would bill using the date of interpretation. If you are billing services that are global you bill by the date the specimen was obtained. Hope this helps.
I'm reviewing this thread and want to see if you could confirm the location of specimen collected date from the HL7 order message. I have ORC.7 as the location. Totally understand if you don't have access to this info. TIA!

I'm reviewing this thread and want to see if you could confirm the location of specimen collected date from the HL7 order message. I have ORC.7 as the location. Totally understand if you don't have access to this info. TIA!
If we confirm the date the specimen was collected, is that when the 30 day start date begins? Then you determine the number of days based off of collection date - Authorization Date from Doctor = # of days specimen was stored? Correct? I am new too and trying to wrap my head around this logic.