Billing for 2 separate surgeries, same day, 2 different insurance

karam

New
Best answers
Hi-
How many of you allow providers to bill out for 2 surgeries done on the same day? The surgeries would be on 2 different body parts and would be billed to 2 different insurances. I am trying to locate billing procedures regarding this and cannot seem to find any.

thank you in advance for your help
Kara

cling2me2

Contributor
Best answers
Are they during the same surgical session or two different sessions on the same DOS?

If they are totally different sessions then I would think it is allowed. However, if both are done during the same surgical session then I think your provider could probably bill separate but the facility would have a problem (I think). My thoughts are, if part of the provider's charges were for the same thing (like use of the Operating Room or anesthesia) then I think he could not, but since they are two different body locations and different insurances then I would think he could; however, if you have to submit the Operative Report to either insurance you may have problems, unless he dictates two separate operative reports. (this is just my opinion, I have not researched this scenario.)