Wiki Billing for a CRNA - feeling confused

michaelroach

Best answers
Hi there,

I've recently passed my CPB exam, and the purpose for gaining the education was to be the medical biller for my spouse who is a self-employed CRNA. I'm slightly confused about how to bill exactly for anesthesia work exclusively. I'm aware I should be using the ASA code, but where do I use the CPT code, if at all? Does it need to go with the claim to show what procedure required the anesthetic work? If so, where do I place the CPT code? Next to the ICD-10 code as a diagnostic pointer?

Thanks.:confused:

Last edited:
I have only billed for CRNA's that were part of a group of physicians so I have no idea how to bill for one who is self-employed. BUT I found this out on the web:

CRNA's may be self-employed and bill for their own services. State scope of practice laws determine whether direction or supervision of a CRNA by a physician is required. In January, 2004, the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) published a complete list of state requirements on their web site entitled, “The Scope of Practice of Nurse Anesthetists.”

If I were you I would try looking up Self-employed CRNA Billing Guidelines for whatever state you are in and also see if you can find that ASA article with the state requirements that is mentioned above. Good luck!