Wiki Billing for Admin of Lidocaine

LKaf7

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

I have been asked if a pt comes in for a hormonal injection (96402) can we bill a 96372 for the lidocaine injected prior to that drug administration. I'm think no and that it's bundled. Thoughts? Thanks!

Actually you cannot bill it as the lidocaine and the administration of it is considered incidental. Also if you bill the administration only you have no drug code to match up to it.

I agree with Debra, this is considered incidental and the modifier 59 would be inappropriate if the administration of the lidocaine was administered for the purpose of the hormonal injection or was related. You could use the injection on modifier 59 is a therapeutic IM or SC injection was performed that was unrelated to the hormone treatment (e.g. if the patient also required an injection of a different drug that was treating a separate condition or was administered at a separate encounter).

Since the lidocaine is being administered for the purpose of the hormonal injection I did not feel it would be appropriate to also code the 96372, thank you for confirming!