• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Billing for co-worker's kid

stonecm

Best answers
I was always told with coding that if you get a chart for someone you know, you DO NOT code it. Does this apply for the billing as well? A co-worker's son recently started physical therapy at the office I bill for, can I bill his visits?

Thanks so much!

cgneff72

Contributor
Best answers
I am not sure of all the legalities here, but I would think you are OK to bill it. I work for a small community hospital, so obviously, I will know or recognize the names of our patients. HIPPA laws should protect the patient and me in these cases. As long as I am not violating the patient's privacy or the HIPPA regulations, I am fine.

Now, your employer may have an internal policy that states you can not code/bill for someone you know, so I guess that has to be taken into consideration as well.

nc_coder

Expert
Best answers
I wouldn't think this would be a problem either. As long as you are billing as documented, I don't see why it would be an issue. I work for a Family practice. Most of the employees' families come here. I am the only coder/biller. I even coded my own child's visits. Half of my family are patients here. There is no one else in my office to do it.