Wiki Billing for medical records review

AngelaMehl

Contributor
Best answers
My physician wants me to bill for 30 minutes of medical records review. Metlife said they would pay him to do so.

What would be the appropriate CPT code to bill for this service?

Thank you.

Angela Chapman, CPC

Invoice MetLife directly

I wouldn't code this with 99358, as there is no indication this is directly related to any E/M service.

I would simply invoice the requesting entity (in this case MetLife, but frequently it's an attorney's office) for the physician's time and report.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

ICD-9 Code for reviewing medical records

What is the appropriate V code, if any, to use in conjunction with the CPT code for 1 hour of reviewing medical records?

What is the appropriate V code, if any, to use in conjunction with the CPT code for 1 hour of reviewing medical records?

The V codes are for indicating a patient or someone related to the patient encountered services with a physician. You just make up a dummy code if you must have a dx code to bill out for the record review. We used to use 000.0 Misc for situations like this.

I would use V68.89, as this is housed with v-codes for expert testimony, issue of repeat prescriptions, issuance of medical certificates, etc. This should also be something that is already "built" into your PM system and/or EHR.