Wiki Billing for normal delivery

miriam j

Best answers
Now i am confused!!! I am trying to bill for a normal delivery and single liveborn. 650 and v27.0. Claim is kicked back--what am i doing wrong in terms of getting paid for this service? Help!!!!

Are you billing a global CPT? If so, you need a global OB code to go with the delivery (650) & the outcome (V27.0). Try resubmitting with a V22.x also. I put it in at the #2 spot in dx order.

Becky, CPC

Hi Becky--

Thanks for the info. I am not billing a global CPT. What are the global CPT codes for normal delivery and outcome?

Now i am confused!!! I am trying to bill for a normal delivery and single liveborn. 650 and v27.0. Claim is kicked back--what am i doing wrong in terms of getting paid for this service? Help!!!!

If you are billing for the global service (antepartum, delivery, postpartum) normal vaginal delivery: CPT 59400 with ICD-9 650, V27.0. There should be no problem in getting this paid.

Delivery only is 59409 (59410 if you are providing postpartum care). If your doc provided all antepartum care in addition to the delivery, you'd bill a 59400. There are other codes to consider if cesarean was involved or if patient was a VBAC, but it doesn't sound like this was the case.

The 650 + V27.0 diagnosis codes are all that's needed on a delivery only code & are usually sufficient even if you're billing the full global code. Maybe there's something else wrong with your claim?

Becky

Normal delivery only- 59409

59409 Vaginal delivery only (with or without episiotomy and/or forceps),
This CPT is most appropriate for Normal Delivery.

:) :) :)