Wiki Billing for Orthovisc J7324

Barbs63

Networker
Best answers
I need your help, our office is starting to bill for Orthovisc, there is no representative in our area, can someone help me on the billing for this medicine?
The NDC code state Orthovisc 30mg/2ml yet the NDC states 15mg/ml
Do I bill 2 units for a unilateral injection?
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

The HCPCS description for J7324 is 'per dose', so bill one unit per dose given. The standard dose for this is 30 mg, so if 30 mg was given unilaterally, that would be one dose and one unit.

To help clarify, when you see mg/ml, that is the strength of the drug, not the dosage - the strength tells you how much drug is contained within a given volume, it does not tell you the dosage that is administered. 30mg/2ml is the exact same strength as 15mg/ml. So if 1 ml is given then the patient received a dose of 15 mg; if 2 ml was given, then the dose was 30 mg.

Last edited:
The HCPCS description for J7324 is 'per dose', so bill one unit per dose given. The standard dose for this is 30 mg, so if 30 mg was given unilaterally, that would be one dose and one unit.

To help clarify, when you see mg/ml, that is the strength of the drug, not the dosage - the strength tells you how much drug is contained within a given volume, it does not tell you the dosage that is administered. 30mg/2ml is the exact same strength as 15mg/ml. So if 1 ml is given then the patient received a dose of 15 mg; if 2 ml was given, then the dose was 30 mg.
Thank you so much, your description is extremely helpful! I was getting myself confused with the strength.