Wiki Billing for phone calls and emails???

Best answers
I have a practitioner, MD, that follows up with patients via phone and by email when there are side effects of medication, client is exhibiting new behaviors or sx, etc. These are initially fielded by the LCSW in the office and then to the MD if needed. Is there anyway to bill for these phone calls and/or emails? I know I've had MD's in other specialties struggle with not being able to bill but am newer to psych coding and wanted to see others experiences with this situation.

the patient must initiate the phone call. if the patient has been in the office and calls within 7 days of the office visit (or e-mail) then the call (email) is not billable. the phone call must be documented as to time spent on the phone and must be more than 5 minutes. These and other rules are in the CPT book the codes are 99441-99443 for calls and 99444 for e-mail, for the provider, or 98966-98968 for phone and 98969 for e-mail for other qualified medical person in the office.

Thanks for the info. I was aware of the codes you listed just unsuccessful at getting them paid for. MCR has those codes under non-covered services even though RVU's are assigned and apparently ins in AK is following their lead. I appreciate the help!

Even if these are non covered by payer you need to bill for them and if the payer states patient responsibility you need to bill the patient. The patient is the one that requested the service and and a service was rendered. Not all health care is paid for by insurance so the patient needs to understand that this is a billable service that is not a benefit under their payer.