Wiki Billing for Phone consulatation

NBCBilling

Best answers
I am working with a social worker who has visits and that does consultations over the phone.

What is the POS for billing the phone consultation? Are the CPTs the same?

Thanks

The only phone call codes are the 99441-99443 and the 98966-98968 codes but they require that the patient be the one that initiates the call. If the social worker is the one placing the call then there is no code available to charge for that. If the patient initiates the call then we use the POS of 11. There are also many other rules/guidelines for these codes that are well spelled out in the CPT book.

RE: Billing psych services online

Yes there is a separate code for treating a client by email/online messages. Ensure the clinician adds correct date and time begin and end. Also the clinician must see the patient face to face first before bill CPT 98969(non MD) code for online sessions, print out the sessions if have hard copy records or post under EMR patient's documentation screen and can only use this code once within a 7 day period of seeing this client face to face. Also do not use online code the same week use non face to face phone CPT code.

If a psychiatrist is using the online med evaluation he uses CPT 99444

Yes there is a separate code for treating a client by email/online messages. Ensure the clinician adds correct date and time begin and end. Also the clinician must see the patient face to face first before bill CPT 98969(non MD) code for online sessions, print out the sessions if have hard copy records or post under EMR patient's documentation screen and can only use this code once within a 7 day period of seeing this client face to face. Also do not use online code the same week use non face to face phone CPT code.

If a psychiatrist is using the online med evaluation he uses CPT 99444

Just remember even for the e-mail, the patient must be the one that initiates the e-mail that the provider or social worker is replying to.

I have a question to ask you if you can help me I am currently working at an Autism Clinic and we have in-home clients that the therapists go out to see. Is there a code that we can bill for transportation depending on the number of miles that have to travel?

Kay Castle, MBA, CPC

Transportation Codes in the HCPCS manual-letter A

Hello
The transportation codes are located in the HCPCS manual in transportation section. The nonemergency transportation taxi or van are listed with codes such as A0080 or A0100 or wheelchair van uses code of A0130. If you are billing a certain payer you should check with them if these are their billing codes per their guidelines. This is important piece of billing

Medicaid and Medicare payers should accept the A codes located in the HCPS manual.

If you need fees associated with these specific HCPCS codes check the payer or the Medicare physician fee as guide per mile and roundtrip rates.

I hope this helps you!:)