Wiki billing for physcian when seeing pts at hospital

Misty Dawn

Guru
Best answers
First I was told that if a doctor admits a patient at 2pm in the afternoon and then later that day signs inpatient order lets say at 4pm that same day, then I should be billing the admit as an Outpatient since the order for inpatient was signed 2 hours after the dictation. Is that right, I thought it was DOS.

2nd scenario patient is in observation status after a heart cath/stent..doctor decides that pt will need to be inpatient and signs the inpatient orders shortly after the procedure. Is the heart cath/stent on the same day billed as Inpatient or outpatient?

Same scenario as above for observation patient after Heart Cath but doctors signs the inpatient order the following morning after rounding on the pt because the pt is worsening. Inpt or would both days be outpt?

As a physician can they bill multiple inpatient and outpatient visit during the same hospital stay? So for example hospital has pt listed as outpatient on day 1 so I am told to bill 99220 2nd day hospital person after reviewing decideds this should be inpt so that visit is billed 99232 then on day 3 the status is changed back on hospital side to outpatient so then I am supposed to bill 99217 for the discharge?? This does not seem correct for the physician side billing. Please help if you can I am really confused!!

correction to the first scenario I do not mean "dictation" I mean that the time stamp of the admit is 2 hours before the time stamp on the inpatient orders. (Admit: 1/9/13 at 2:00pm then order say 1/19/2013 at 4:00pm) I have not been able to find anything about specific time everything I am reading on CMS says "the date of..."