• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Billing for Pre-op

Best answers
It is my understanding that when a major procedure is being done that pre-op is the day before and is included in the global surgery and minor procedures are the day of. If a patient is having bariatric surgery and we see the patient 7-10 days before for blood work and pre-surgery work up can we bill for that seperate? I work at an ASC and I am not sure if the rules here are different than anywhere else? Any advise is appreciated!

Best answers
seeing the patient 7 - 10 days prior to the surgery, you should be able to bill for the services performed.

I know when the patient is seen day before it's included and I know that there is a 3 day window rule for pre - admission testing prior to surg. hope this helped

Best answers
That is what I thought. I am new here so I wasn't sure if it is different with ASC but I didn't think so. I wanted to follow up with some people though to make sure I was correct. Are we able to just charge a regular E&M code? Can we charge for the pre-op even if it is not a physician that is seeing them for this?