Wiki Billing for the Swab Test in an ASC Prior to Surgery or Procedure

jlcheritage

Networker
Best answers
I have been asked by the ASC that I code for if we can bill for the swab (oral) test for COvid. They are testing the patients a day prior to their procedure to see if they are positive. Can I code for the swab on these patients. Once they obtain the swab they send it out for pathology. They only do the collection process.

I have been asked by the ASC that I code for if we can bill for the swab (oral) test for COvid. They are testing the patients a day prior to their procedure to see if they are positive. Can I code for the swab on these patients. Once they obtain the swab they send it out for pathology. They only do the collection process.

Not sure exactly which an ASC would fall under but these are the codes I've seen for different scenarios for specimen collection only:
HCPCS code C9803 billed by hospital outpatient department
CPT code 99211 billed by a physician office
HCPCS code G2023/G2024 for home/nursing home collection by a lab or on behalf of a home health agency

From: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/43020-sars-cov-2-infographic.pdf

Thank you, this really helps me to better understand. I know that we cannot bill Medicare as an ASC, but I think we can under other carriers. thanks again for the codes too.

I'm in a similar situation in that I work for a pathology lab who is providing these COVID-19 tests prior to surgery to see if the results are negative and the patient can proceed with their surgery. Do we know that if the patient has Medicare and is in a nursing home, do we bill Medicare directly as opposed to the nursing home? I have heard of this but cannot find anything that documents this on CMS.